Fletcher Discombe

Fletcher was diagnosed with parameningeal head and neck embryonal rhabdomyosarcoma in the nasopharyngeal region on 9th May 2022 with metastases to the lungs and bone marrow. We were due to immigrate to Australia with flights booked for the 17th May. He was finally diagnosed after multiple trips to our GP and local A&E with a large lump on the side of his neck, each time being turned away and told to keep an eye on it. When he began having double vision they performed an MRI test where the tumour was found. We were quickly transferred to Bristol where Fletch underwent a 15 hour surgery to save his eyesight by debulking the tumour. This was successful and he was started on IVADO chemotherapy. He was to have 9 sessions of chemo followed by 28 sessions of radiotherapy. Fletch had a great response to treatment and had clear scans at the 3 month mark. However following completion of his radiotherapy and 7 rounds of chemo, on our way home he had a massive seizure in the back of the car. He was transferred to PICU in Oxford as Bristol had no beds. Following multiple MRI scans, lumber punctures and CTs and more seizures we were told the devastating news that Fletcher’s cancer had returned to his brain and spine and there were no treatment options. We were transferred to Charlton Farm Children’s hospice where Fletch died on the 16th November 2022.

Fletcher's Story...

Fletch was a beautiful boy and a lover of life. Tony and I made the decision during lockdown to immigrate to Australia. We sold our house and gave away most of our belongings, everything else was packed ready to be shipped. About a month before we were due to fly we noticed a lump on Fletcher’s neck. He had also been having some cold symptoms and couldn’t seem to clear his nose. He was otherwise fine in himself. We took him to our local GP who dismissed the lump as a swollen lymph node and said to keep an eye on it. We weren’t happy with this explanation. Fletch was unable to breathe through his nose and couldn’t smell anything. I took him to the GP again and we also spent 6 hours in A&E on another occasion as I was concerned it was more than just a swollen lymph node. By this time it was getting much larger and was solid. He was seen by two paediatric doctors in A&E who both said they felt it was a swollen lymph node, it didn’t need antibiotics and to see how it goes. We eventually persuaded them to give him an ultrasound. We were told this was inconclusive and again to keep an eye on it. We took Fletch out to our local park where he told me he could see double. At this point I got cross with the doctors and insisted on him being seen in the hospital. After lots of waiting around he was eventually sent for an MRI. Blood tests were all reassuring. Most of the day passed waiting for the results of the MRI, each time I asked what was happening they told me it hadn’t been discussed yet. The longer the time went on, the more I knew something was wrong. I was then taken into a separate room to be told they had found a large tumour in Fletcher’s head taking up all of the area behind his nose. We were absolutely terrified but I was told at the time it could be treated so we had hope.

We were transferred to Bristol Children’s hospital from our home in Devon. This meant splitting our close family unit. Fletcher and his sister were best friends and he adored her, so being apart was hard. Fletch underwent more MRI scans, CT scans, lumber punctures and bone marrow aspirates. We went to Cardiff for a PET scan. The results revealed the tumour was pressing on his optic nerves which was causing him to lose vision in his right eye. He could only see movement of light. We were given a horrifying list of possible outcomes and side effects that may happen from the surgery to save his eyesight. This meeting took place around 11.30pm on a Sunday night. Given the type of tumour, and its location, we were told it was not possible to remove it. The surgeons were back in first thing on Monday morning ready to take him to theatre. We were told it could be anywhere from 8 or 18 hours. Fletch was in surgery for 15 hours but we were hugely relieved when they said it had gone well with none of the horrifying side effects that could have happened. Fletch was in high dependency while he recovered from this and amazingly regained his sight in the right eye. He had surgery to fit a double hickman line ready for his chemotherapy.

On the 9th May, we were taken to a side room to be told it was Rhabdomyosarcoma and they had also found tumours on his lungs. They were yet to get the bone marrow results but we were told it was highly unlikely it would be there. However, over the next few weeks, we learnt it was indeed in his bone marrow and this made him very high risk with around 20% chance of survival. Despite this devastating news, we remained positive that Fletch could fight it. He commenced the gruelling chemotherapy which made him very sick. However, we soon got into a new routine and he was able to have chemotherapy in our local hospital in Exeter. We had to move in with parents as we had sold our house and try to rebuild our lives while dealing with cancer.

Fletch had scans after 3 months of treatment. We were told that the PET scan showed no evidence of disease and the tumour had almost completely gone in his head. His bone marrow was also clear. This was the best news we could have hoped for. Fletch was due to start radiotherapy in September and so had to have a PEG fitted in his tummy in case he was unable to eat. He struggled with this as he had to turn the PEG and this caused him a great deal of discomfort. He was unable to enjoy the foods he once did as the chemo changed his taste. We had to go back to Bristol for a mask to be fitted over Fletcher’s head and neck in preparation for radiotherapy. This was a brutal treatment and awful to watch him go through, however like everything else Fletch just dealt with it, without complaint and laid on the table without an anaesthetic every day for 6 weeks to have the radiotherapy. During this time we again had to part as a family with Tony and I taking turns to spend the week in Bristol with Fletch whilst the other one stayed home to look after Erin. Towards the end of this he suffered badly with mucositis and was unable to eat food, something which he previously loved to do! He lost a lot of weight and had difficulty swallowing and talking. We returned home after his last session of radiotherapy but had to go back to our local hospital as he was very weak and kept being sick. He spent a week in hospital receiving TPN for nutrition and they also put him on fentanyl for pain relief. At the end of the week he finally seemed to be getting better and the symptoms were beginning to ease. We were driving home when Fletch said he was hungry and I was so happy to hear this. However immediately after saying that he had a sudden and massive seizure in the back of the car. We thought we had lost him. I called an ambulance but was told they were all busy. I drove him quickly to A&E at another hospital where he was intubated and put in ICU. This hospital didn’t have a paediatric ICU so they were trying to get us back to Bristol asap. After a night in ICU we were told Bristol didn’t have enough beds which was upsetting to hear as we felt this is where he needed to be. An MRI was carried out and we were told it was possibly radiotherapy side effects or meningitis. Eventually, we were transferred to Oxford as this was the only place available. Ironically, it was the hospital I was born in, and at least it meant we had some family close by to look after Erin. Fletch was able to breathe on his own and seemed to respond well to us. The room we were in had no windows and was dark and noisy. Multiple times we requested to be moved to Bristol and the doctors at Oxford kept requesting a transfer but Bristol still continued to refuse as there were apparently no beds. I will forever feel let down by this. He should have been in the hospital that knew him and had carried out his original scans.

Fletch seemed well so we took him for a walk in his wheelchair around the hospital. It was then he had another seizure and we rushed him back to PICU. Fletch was intubated again. He underwent multiple lumber punctures, a CT and MRI. He had another seizure on a Sunday night when there didn’t seem to be any appropriate consultants around. He was left for hours while having this seizure while we had to helplessly watch him. Despite a nurse in the room with us all the time, it wasn’t until I got angry and said he needed help that they finally intubated him again. Unfortunately due to the fact he had had such a long seizure he lost the ability to talk to us. After days and hours of waiting we were told the MRI scan showed evidence of cancer on his brain and spine which was causing the seizures. We were then taken to a side room and told there was nothing that could be done for Fletch and they would try to move him to a hospice.

We went to Charlton Farms Children Hospice where they had prepared a beautiful room for him with a spiderman bed cover he would have loved. Despite the doctors thinking Fletch had a matter of days, he fought for a further 2 weeks and passed away on the 16th November just before 4am with me and Tony at his side. Fletch was a fighter, he never complained throughout treatment. The only times he really got upset was when he was neutropenic from the chemotherapy which caused a high temperature. This meant trips back to the hospital for a minimum of 48 hours of antibiotics. Fletch was an absolute lover of life, he was the kindest, bravest boy who adored his sister and would often want to buy her flowers. Losing him has broken us all.

What was your journey with cancer like?

Our journey with cancer was quick and horrifying. You are suddenly thrust into an unknown world of horror and what felt like torture at times. Watching our beautiful boy receiving all the gruelling treatments was brutal but he dealt with it all with strength rarely seen in adults. Each chemo session made him neutropenic and this meant he was back in hospital with a temperature. This was hard for Fletch as he didn’t want to go in unless it was for main treatment. He also needed several blood transfusions to help his counts recover. You suddenly have to learn a lot of information and record of lot of detail to help you understand things. Support varied for us, at the start we had a lot but by the end we had practically nothing. We have always done everything together as a family of 4 and to suddenly be split and having to leave our daughter with relatives and friends was hard. Being away from home and staying in charity accommodation was difficult although we were very grateful for this as we wouldn’t have managed otherwise.

The meetings with the specialists was a feeling I will never forget. Being taken to a side room to be told each terrible bit of information was soul destroying and leaves you feeling completely helpless. We were always confident and positive Fletch would fight this cancer and after such positive scans we thought this was the case. From diagnosis, to him passing away was less than 7 months. It has been a complete whirlwind with the worst possible outcome and our lives will never be the same again.

What changes would you like to see for children diagnosed in the future?

We would like to see a faster diagnosis and more awareness by GPs and paediatric doctors. If Fletch been diagnosed sooner, perhaps it wouldn’t have had the chance to spread and grow so close to his brain. As a parent, you have a gut feeling when something isn’t right and this should be listened too. There needs to be better treatments for rhabdomyosarcoma and more funding for research into treatment and cures. Also, more support for parents financially and mentally. We were lucky we were able to fall back on some savings to get us through, otherwise I don’t know what we would have done. Ultimately, you need to be with your child not worrying about work or paying bills. I also think they need to look at each child individually rather than following a set trial or protocol. I feel if Fletch had a chance to receive more chemo before he started his radiotherapy (certain parts of the chemo couldn’t be given while undergoing chemo) this may have meant a better outcome. There has also been a lack of support following his death.


Read all the latest fundraising news, charity news and commentary on childhood cancer.

A team of 105 runners comprising scientists, doctors, surgeons, nurses, pharmacists, families, friends, parents all ran together.
This incredible community event marked Mollie’s five year anniversary of her diagnosis with rhabdomyosarcoma.
An insight into life in the laboratory for Post Doc, Dr Christina Burke.
We are delighted to publish our Annual Report covering FY21/22.
Around the Wash Spiderman themed cycle in memory of Elliott Peto.
This high profile news coverage was showcased on 10th May 2023.
An article focussed on the Cancer Grand Challenge, NexTGen, featuring co-founder, Sara Wakeling.
On the 11th March 2023 families, medical professionals and scientists came together as a community.
The launch took place at a special memorial assembly at Elliott’s school.
We will be opening as a 501(c)(3) in 2023.
Press coverage received in Sunday’s Observer on 15th January 2023.
The sale of gold bath bombs throughout UK Lush stores raises £150K.
Pilot findings published in an article in the Journal of Clinical Oncology.
Our ‘Say My Name’ Season’s Greeting’s card are now available to buy.
Epic cycling challenge for Amber’s Arc raises over £11K.
Telling the stories of the inspirations behind our work is the focus for CCAM 2022
Alice’s Arc referenced in Washington Post news article discussing research in children’s cancers
Lush will be selling a ‘gold’ dragon’s egg bath bomb in support of Dexter’s Arc
An insight into life in the laboratory for Dr Joanna Selfe at the ICR.
The Alice’s Arc annual report covering 1st October 2020 to 30th September 2021.
Alice’s Arc is delighted to be collaborating with CCLG to deliver this research to improve the treatment decision-making process for families.
Delighted to discuss progress on research regarding genetic markers of rhabdomyosarcoma and improving treatment therapies.
They took part in the London West 10kms Tough Mudder in support of Gaspard’s experience with rhabdomyosarcoma.
Sara Wakeling is a patient advocate on the Cancer Grand Challenge, NexTGen.
Delighted to be invited as speakers representing the parental perspective of rhabdomyosarcoma.
Please consider participating in a research interview as part of the REFoRMS (Relapsed and Refractory Rhabdomyosarcoma) study, led by the University of York.
On Tuesday 26th April 2022 this debate was held for the first time with 22 MPs speaking on behalf of constituents.
New research project aims to lead to better outcomes for children with the MYOD1 L122R mutation in fusion negative RMS.
2022 LLHM team of 18 runners raise £16K for research into rhabdomyosarcoma.
On 7th March 2022, we visited Great Ormond Street Hospital, where Alice’s care and treatment for rhabdomyosarcoma was led.
Alice’s Arc had the opportunity to meet the research team undertaking the rhabdomyosarcoma projects invested in and to tour the laboratories
The roles are for a Scientific Project Manager and a Statistician.
This is the first in a series of meet the Alice’s Arc researchers across our research projects.
This new work package will explore the targets identified in RMS model systems with a focus on clinical translation.
We are delighted to appear in the ICR’s latest edition of their twice-yearly Search magazine.
Freddie’s family are inviting you to become part of this special community this Easter and support Alice’s Arc
Will Rutt, aged 20, sadly passed away on Sunday 21st February 2021 after a four year journey with stage 4 ARMS
This project will increase understanding of RAS gene pathways in RMS with a focus on DNA repair and replication stress.
Having being touched by Gaspard’s journey with cancer, a member of staff nominated Alice’s Arc to receive a donation
Assessing The Clinical Value For ct-DNA In Blood To Monitor The Response To Treatments and Identify Disease Recurrence
300 of these candles incorporating Elsa’s very own artwork and name have been sold over the festive season
We are delighted to be supporting five innovative research projects led by several leading cancer research centres
Their daughter, Sophie, was recently diagnosed with rhabdomyosarcoma and her family are fundraising for the charity.
FaR-RMS opened in September 2020 and is now open in ten sites in England and Scotland and several sites across Europe.
On Friday 6th November 2020 Plan.com organised a turn ‘pink’ fundraising day for Alice’s Arc.
Phil and Vicky Macqueen both ran this virtual event in memory of their niece, Jessica Macqueen.
We worked closely with families impacted by cancer to help local communities and businesses ‘go gold’ and fundraise.
The pandemic of Covid-19 has made it mandatory to wear face coverings in certain settings. Why not buy one of ours?
A unique wing walk, in memory of Alice Wakeling and Freddie Carpenter and to go gold for children with cancer
In memory of Elsa McGee, her Dad and other family walked 125 miles over 5 days along the Leeds to Liverpool canal path
Covid-19 inspired Tom to grow his hair and transform himself in to the Tiger King to raise funds for Hope With Gaspard
To mark Faye’s 5th birthday and as a way of giving back since Faye’s cancer diagnosis, her Aunt and Grandad ran 10kms
Please read this edition of our Annual Report to get a snapshot of our activity for the year and our future plans.
Alice’s school choose Alice’s Arc as their charity of the year for the 2019/20 academic school year
Elsa sadly died in April 2020 and her parents want the funds raised to contribute to research in to rhabdomyosarcoma.
Generous support for the charity enabled us to create goody bags for children with cancer receiving chemotherapy at GOSH
Natalie, a trainee psychologist, is the mother of two boys, both diagnosed with cancer within months of one another.
After a 4 year battle, Elsa sadly passed away from embryonal rhabdomyosarcoma on April 14th 2020.
Alice’s school organised a fun run, on Saturday 14th March 2020, in Knole Park for the whole school and their families.
We hosted 85 people at St Julian’s Club, Sevenoaks on Saturday 14th March 2020 at a ‘Go Gold’ casino fundraising event
Sara was delighted to take up the opportunity to attend this reception in celebration of International Woman’s Day
This tells Alice’s cancer story from her point of view and illustrates the mission and progress of Alice’s Arc
The club supported the charity in 2019 and ran several fundraising initiatives including a quiz.
There have been various fundraising initiatives put in place around the firm’s network in memory of Alice Wakeling.
Local schools Walthamstow Hall Junior and New Beacon held Valentine’s fundraising events
Up Up and Away and Alice’s Arc enjoyed visiting the oncology wards with heart balloons, sweet cones and chocolate hearts
Are you feeling lucky? Please join us for a gold casino fundraising evening raising money for Alice’s Arc.
The Edward Gostling Foundation supports people living with long-term illnesses
Jess Macqueen passed away from rhabdomyosarcoma just 5 months after her diagnosis
We are delighted to announce that, the newly formed fund, Hope With Gaspard, will raise funds for Alice’s Arc
Benjamin Ronsseray nominated the charity for this award following his son, Gaspard’s diagnosis with rhabdomyosarcoma.
The EpSSG meeting brings together international professionals devoted to treating children with soft tissue sarcoma
23 parents ran the Watford Autumn 10K in support of Alice’s Arc
Alice’s Arc has fulfilled it’s initial three year pledge to the ICR and given the team a further £69K for research
The school has already raised almost £10K. Latest fundraisers include the sale of the ‘Alice’ bow and a singing event .
8 cyclists rode over 240 miles from London to Paris over three days to raise funds for Alice’s Arc
On the 8th October 2019, Alice Wakeling passed away peacefully, after almost 5 years fighting rhabdomyosarcoma.
The charity had 14 runners participating in this stunning central London Half Marathon.
We have now donated almost £280K to the ICR team since the inception of the relationship in 2016.
This leaflet provides information on who we are, what we do, why we do it and how you can help.
Shane is taking on this challenge in August, cycling from Land’s End to John O’Groats, in memory of his nephew, Freddie.
Olivia Ruhen will work in a Postdoc role on the ICR’s rhabdomyosarcoma research team
Over 100 spectators braved snowy conditions to watch 45 people fire walk to raise funds to help children with cancer
We are delighted to be featured in an article in the ICR’s Spring 2019 edition of their Search magazine
Dunn AC Ltd is helping raise awareness and funds for the charity. They have added the logo to their fleet of vans
Alice’s recent scans show no evidence of cancer. The damage from the AMORE surgery and brachytherapy has healed.
In memory of Freddie Carpenter, Waitrose Rickmansworth, supported the charity with their community green coin scheme.
These funds have enabled the recruitment of a Clinical Research Fellow to add to the team researching rhabdo at the ICR.
The ICR has published a report called ‘From patent to patient – analysing access to innovative cancer drugs
We are delighted to share that the charity has raised over £250K since our inception 2.5 years ago.
It’s a huge tribute to a wonderful 5 year old. Donations to Alice’s Arc at Freddie’s funeral reached over £10K
Alice’s Arc is hosting a fire walk fundraiser in conjunction with the Mayor and local Sevenoaks Council
The ICR team continue to make progress researching rhabdomyosarcoma using the funds raised by Alice’s Arc
Finn’s mother arranged a fantastic event in Leigh-on-Sea, incorporating a quiz, a live auction and a raffle.
Team Cheek went on another colossal walk for the charity raising in excess of £3K
The family fun morning hosted by the school Alice attends raised in excess of £2K for the charity.
Finn, passed away from rhabdo, aged 10 after a courageous 18 month fight with the disease.
Two school girls create fresh lemonade recipe and set up a stall selling it at an event celebrating Armed Forces Day
The charity has received support from various individuals choosing to run and cycle to raise money for the charity
Mike ran the London Marathon in 3 hours and 2 minutes raising almost £4K in support of a family impacted by rhabdo
First Give and Hampstead School joined forces to help children support their community and pitch for their chosen causes
Choose Alice’s Arc when shopping on Amazon Smile UK and 0.5% of the purchase price will be donated to us
Alice is being treated using a relapse chemotherapy regime and a specialist procedure in Amsterdam known as AMORE
This money covers the salary of a Higher Scientific Officer to support the ICR’s rhabdomyosarcoma research.
Alice’s Arc has commented on a letter to President Juncker regarding delays to the reform of EU Paediatric Regulation.
The charity is delighted to have received support from accountants, Kingston Smith and a major US private equity house.
Allen & Overy will make an annual donation to support the mission of Alice’s Arc
We have provided funds to enable an injection of the drug, neulasta for a 3 year old boy suffering from rhabdomyosarcoma
The charity has provided the ICR with funds to acquire laboratory reagents and equipment
Current EU legislation allows Pharmas to use a loophole in EU legislation to avoid trialling cancer drugs in children
Paul raised over £2K shaving his 9 inch hair and beard off and donating it to the little princess charity
Make Believe Sevenoaks invited parents of children in their drama class to join in for a day to raise money for charity
Simon and Sandy Haddock showcased their recent art works at an art evening which raised £1K for Alice’s Arc
Rani completed a 25km walk across 16 London bridges raising £1K for Alice’s Arc.
Accenture nominated Alice’s Arc as one of three charities to donate funds raised from its annual OPSCARS auction
Matt Cheek and Dave Watts walked 100km in 24hours for Matt’s 3 year old nephew who has rhabdomyosarcoma.
Hands Decals - LeftCreated with Sketch.
Hands Decals - RightCreated with Sketch.

Our Mission

We have already raised £3,500,000 and now aim to reach £5,000,000 to pay for research to find a cure and better treatments for rhabdomyosarcoma.
Raised £3,500,000